Travelling to new places and spending quality time with friends and families is a beautiful experience. And your enjoyment doubles when you set out on the road to explore the country. All you need to do is research listing sites for suitable RVs for sale by owners. However maneuvring an RV is not child’s play and before you hit the road, you have to make sure that you are up for the task. It gets especially tricky when you are driving at night. The strain of remaining behind the wheel for the whole day long will wreak havoc with your concentration at night. Such a situation can be dangerous. But if you follow some simple tricks, you will be able to stay alert and awake behind the wheel and reach your destination safe and sound.
Here are a few tips on how to keep your eyes wide open while driving on limited sleep:
- Avoid Sugar: You might experience an initial rush if you eat and drink food items that contain large amounts of sugar, but you may feel drowsy after some time. This is because sugar triggers certain responses in your body that result into drowsiness. The more the sugar intake in your body, the more drowsy you feel.
- Drink Caffeine: Beverages containing caffeine, especially coffee, gives you energy and works great in keeping you awake. A cup of coffee can provide your body enough caffeine to increase your attention. If you do not drink coffee, you can also opt for a large cup of tea. But don’t guzzle it down at one go because that may lead to a drop in the energy level. Instead savor your drink, taking small sips from your cup. This trick will help retain the effect of the caffeine for a longer time.
- Chew Gum: Keeping your mouth busy is a great way to keep your brain active and sleepiness at bay. While chewing a gum, your jaws remain occupied, which, in turn, prevents you from yawning and dozing off. Be sure to use the sugar-free varieties to avoid sugar crash.
- Stay Hydrated: Even slight dehydration can affect your ability to stay awake and alert. So drink a lot of water. Staying hydrated will not only reduce fatigue but also help you maintain a soothing body temperature during the long drive. Try to drink cold water for better result.
- Keep it Cool: Keeping the RV interiors a bit chilly can fight drowsiness and help you stay awake. You can either switch on the air conditioner or open a window. Also, make sure that the air hits your face directly. The gush of nippy air will keep your alert.
There are a few other ways to keep yourself awake. For example, keep the music loud or keep on talking to someone. These simple tricks will help you stay alert. But the best option to cut back on fatigue is to share the driving task with someone in the group. This strategy will help both the persons to take enough rest while the other is in charge of the wheel. On the other hand, if there is no one else who can relieve you from your duty, you should take as many breaks as possible to stretch your body and let the blood flow to keep you focussed.
There is no dearth of used RVs for sale by owners in the market, so finding a suitable unit will not be a problem for you. Pay attention in planning your itinerary. Plan it in a way so that you can avoid driving late, as nothing can substitute a good night’s sleep. Worry not, if you cannot. Just remember our tips and be safe.